"Come what may, and love it!......Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result." ~ Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

October 2, 2010

I love Jeffrey R. Holland and my parents.

As I listened to Jeffery R. Holland this morning give his talk my mind reflected on my own parents who sacrificed a lot for their children.
I remember my mom telling me that when they were a young married couple she used some of the money budgeted for groceries to by shoes for one of the kids.
My mom and dad were always going without their wants and needs so that their children could have more of their wants and needs.
Growing up we lived in a humble home.
We had food to eat, clothes to wear, transportation to get around.
I remember that my mom didn't always have a lot of clothes but she never complained.
When I got older and was able to work I bought her a dress.
I went to the mall specifically looking for something for my mother.
I walked into a store, found a dress that she might like, guessed at the sized and purchased it.
I could hardly wait to give it to her.
When I did she said, "What is this?" tears in her eyes
I said, "It's a dress for you."
We hugged and cried together (as we sometimes do).
She went and tried it on and to my surprise it fit perfectly.
Sometime later, my sister who was pretty newly married and had one baby with another one of the way and a husband in school, found herself not being able to fit into a lot of her clothing and not having a lot of money to purchase more.
She called my mom.
My mom, still having little clothing and wanting to do what she could, gave my sister the dress I bought for her.
It was a little bigger than my sister so it would fit her pregnant belly.
I know my mom liked that dressed and some time later she told what she had done, hoping I wouldn't be mad.
How could I be mad?  She was helping (and sacrificing for ) my sister.
Helping my sister and helping me by being the good example of charity she most always is.

I'm grateful for my parents who raised me with principles of the gospel.
Who sacrificed things for me (even when I was making unwise choices as a stinking teenager).
I love them.
Thanks mom and dad!






No comments: