"Come what may, and love it!......Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result." ~ Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

April 15, 2010

I'm a little more country than that.

I grew up in the country.
and not just the country but the country in Texas.
I don't and never did consider myself a cowgirl but maybe a country girl.
We lived in a small town where most everyone knew each other.
We had a humble home with rabbits, chickens, and goats. (Yes, we drank goats milk.)
We didn't have much but we didn't need much.
With becoming a teenager so came the desire to be a "city girl".
I tried to lose my accent and found good friends in the city.
When I was 18 I moved a few times, went to school, and finally found the boy of my dreams (at 24).
Now I reside in the country with that boy and two little boys.
I'm back (to the country) and it feels like home.
makes me wish I never left.
With the hustle and bustle of the world today and all the stress and anxiety that it brings, it makes me want to head in the opposite direction.
So, I have (started anyway). Sometimes it's a little like swimming up river.
Sometimes I have to pause and regroup.
I'm trying to make an efforts everyday to live a little more simply.

I'm sure I'll be posting about my adventures in simplicity.

We are putting up a clothesline soon.
The Amish in our area even hang clothes out in the winter. I guess it has to work or they wouldn't do it.

Why it's good:
1. Save money.
2. Clothes last longer.
3. Clothes and linens smell better.
4. It conserves energy and environmental resources.
5. Hanging laundry is a moderate physical activity that can be done outside.
6. Sunlight bleaches and disinfects.
7. Indoor racks can humidify in dry and cold climates.
8. It is safer. Clothes dryer fires account for about 17,700 fires, 15 deaths and 360 injuries annually.
9. It is a fun outdoor experience that can be meditative and community-building.
10. Small steps make a difference.

(information from www.care2.com)



Tips & Tricks for Hanging Out


drawing of clothesline

Find an outdoor dryer and hanging style that suits you. It is a matter of taste in any case.
Turn most clothing inside out to prevent fading and faster drying of pockets and seams.
Hang T-shirts upside-down.
Use hangers for button shirts, or hang from collar points.
Shade dry Silk, and fine fabrics. Linen in hot sun = less wrinkles.
Give all items a good snap when hanging up, which will help prevent stiffness, especially on towels, and again when removing, this softens fabric and removes any creatures or tree bits, also cuts down on wrinkles.
If clothes or towels are still too stiff or slightly damp, throw ‘em in the dryer for a few minutes. It will still save you lots on your energy usage.
When hanging fitted sheets, fold elastic in around edges and hang over line with pins at folded edges.
If using plastic pins, do not leave on the line permanently, and use caution, as some varieties have been known to weaken with age and sun, and can break under spring tension causing sharp fragments to go into the eye, when using! Wood lasts a long time if taken off line.
Have a bag that slides along on the line, or pocket apron to keep pins handy.
It is air and wind as much as sun that dries clothes. Shade dry for best results on man-made fabrics.
Plant wonderful smells near your lines, lavender and lemon verbena and thyme

(linedry.com)



or do without!



No comments: