"Come what may, and love it!......Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result." ~ Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

December 24, 2012

The school shooting and a lesson on death

My boys are familiar with guns.
Heath has taken them shooting with a small gun that grandpa has.
They sit in Heath's lap but even Asher (not quite 4) shoots it.
I wasn't sure how I felt about it for maybe like a second.
Heath is really good with them and very safe. 
You might have a different opinion and that's fine.
I'm not here to debate...just blog.

Anyway, what I'm getting to is the school shooting that happened a few weeks ago.
We don't have T.V.
Well, we have a T.V that we watch movies on but we don't have cable or anything so we don't get the channels.
Maybe needless to say but I don't really watch the news.
That's something else we could debate about and you could say I live in a bubble and call me an idiot but again...not here to debate, just blog.
So, I heard about the shooting from a neighbor.
and I honestly thought "man, glad I don't have the news" (no name calling, be nice)
I heard they played footage of it over and over and over which was very disturbing for some kids.
Noah's school sent a note home about good ways to talk to your children about it.
So, last night I finally decided that I would tell them about it.
No, I don't want my children to live in a bubble but I hold my home sacred and want to make it a place of peace and comfort to come home to.
There is enough in the world that they will get influenced by when they are outside of our home.
So, this morning I told them about the shooting.
I started out by telling them what an elementary school was (a school like Noah goes to)
I said, "you know how there's good guys and bad guys?"
they said yes
and then they said 'but there are always good guys' (I was glad they knew that)
(Even if it's only one hiding for his life to fulfill the work of the Lord...Moroni) ...sorry side note
I told them that a bad guy went into a school with a gun and killed kids and teachers.
I could tell by the look on their face that they were taken back and concerned (or scared)
Then I talked to them about how we lived with Heavenly Father before we came to earth and how he has a plan for us and part of that plan was death.
I told them we don't need to be scared of death because when we die we go to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus and it.is.AWESOME!
They smiled
I told them that when all our family dies we get to be together FOREVER!
still smiles
how comforting!
I told them people die at different aged because of different things but as long as we choose the right we get to be in the AWESOME place. We don't need to be scared.

I'm glad that I have that knowledge and I can share it with my children.
Not living in a bubble but in comfort and peace in a crazy world.

"Through the eyes of faith, confidence replaces fear."
-Henry B. Eyring (is that how you spell that?)

Something that was said in church yesterday...help your children develop communication with the heavens.   It was said a lot better...I'll have to look up the talk. 

A picture for your enterainment.


This is me and my sister-in-law, Lacey.
There are a lot of reason I like this picture.
-Lacey is not a runner and decided to run a few weeks before the race and she finished
-This was a color run where they threw color powder of some sort at us while running. Then we threw it at each other at the end.
-I have lost more weight 
-we made our t-shirts
-and I like Lacey

No comments: