"Come what may, and love it!......Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result." ~ Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

May 22, 2011

"Taking Chance"

So, the other night I watched a movie.
The title "Taking Chance".
I admit I am a fan of romantic comedies and comedies by themselves (although it's rare to find one these days that is clean enough to watch with kids, so I don't watch them) but this was a good movie.
There is no comedy in this movie, it's a pretty solemn movie, very moving, and filled with respect.
It is about an officer in the Marines returning a fallen soldier to his family.
It showed the process the fallen soldier went through to be prepared to return to their home town.
I was impressed by the respect and honor they showed to the soldier from the very beginning of this process.
He was cleaned, both body and personal effects.
Every time the casket was moved on or off a plane or to or from a vehicle the fallen soldier
was saluted, hats were taken off and a reverence was shown.

I haven't known anyone personally whose life was taken in a war or serving our country but I do know people who have served in the Marines, Army, and Navy. I have to say I have felt grateful for all who served but never more than after I watched this movie.

My Bishop is an old Marine. He doesn't talk about the war itself (none of them do) but he does talk about sand in all the food he ate and the Lord sparing his life several times.
My grandfather was in the Navy and the only story I know of came from my mother.
His life was spared also.

Just want to say THANK YOU to all those who have served, are presently serving, and those who plan to serve our country. May repect and  honor follow you where ever you go.


No comments: